Match Reports

Under-14 Hurling Roinn D League

Thursday, 28 June 2012 at 1PM

Under-14 Hurling Roinn D League

Galmoy 6-20, Fenians 2-2

A strong second half performance, when aided by the breeze, saw Galmoy record a good win over The Fenians in this Roinn D U-14 League Game in Galmoy on Monday evening June 25th 2012.

The Johnstown boys dominated the early stages of this game and went into an early lead as a result.

Oisín Phelan did have the first point for Galmoy but the visitors then set about their task in earnest. Ten minutes in, their best player, Niall Carroll sent over a 65.Two minutes later full forward Paul Warren struck a ground shot to the net. Another pointed free from Niall Carroll stretched that lead even more. On the quarter hour mark, a long Fenians delivery was dropped by a Galmoy defender and corner forward Conor Holohan was in like a flash to sweep the sliotar to the net to leave the Fenians ahead 2-2 to 0-1 after the first quarter.

Galmoy now knew they were in a battle and had to fight hard to get back in the game. Sean Phelan at wing forward was the only Galmoy player who settled early and struck a lot of good ball forward. They were deprived of one or two possible goals by alert Fenians goal keeper Aaron Okoroh  but when they started taking their points, they gradually gained confidence. Oisín Phelan again started them going with an 18th minute point to which Conor Drennan added two, one from a free. In the 22nd minute ,they won a 65.Brandan Phelan cleverly sent the placed ball across field to the unmarked Conor Grace. Grace’s probing delivery was flicked to the net by Cathal Phelan to reduce the deficit to the minimum.

Oisín Phelan leveled the game in the 24th minute and he followed up with a cracking goal after an intelligent cross by Dylan Grace. Patrick Doyle goaled after working hard and Conor Drennan finished the first half scoring with a long range point to leave Galmoy ahead 3-6 to 2-2 at the break. 

The game was a personal triumph for Oisín Phelan who finished with a total of 3-7 from play and he hit his second goal straight after the interval. The home side then picked off some impressive points as they pushed on .Conor Grace and Conor Drennan at midfield cut off the supply to the Fenians forwards and kept the ball going forward. Brandan Phelan was also very solid at centre back with wing backs Conor Kelly and Colm Smith clearing their lines well all through.

Mark Hughes and Aaron Dermody  tried hard in defence for the Fenians and they pushed Niall Carroll out to midfield in a bid to gain some possession there with Evan Okoroh manning the centre of defence. But Galmoy kept driving forward relentlessly and had their fifth goal of the evening when Oisín Phelan struck the net again in the 56th minute. Full forward Evan Morrissey got in on the goal scoring act with two minutes remaining.

This was Galmoy’s third win in the competition as they had previously beaten Windgap and Mullinavat and have remaining games against Cloneen and Carrickshock.

GALMOY: Billy Drennan, Ryan Murphy, Jack Delaney, Ned Lavelle, Colm Smith, Brandan Phelan(0-1 65),Conor Kelly, Conor Grace(0-5,0-2frees),Conor Drennan(0-4,0-1f),Oisín Phelan(3-7),Cathal Phelan(1-0),Sean Phelan(0-1),Dylan Grace(0-1),Evan Morrissey(1-0),Patrick Doyle(1-1).

FENIANS: Aaron Okoroh, Jason Dermody, Mark Hughes, Aaron Dermody, Diarmuid O’Gorman, Niall Carroll(0-2,0-1 65),Kyle Quinlan, Killian Cullinane, Domonik  Franczek, Bobby Tynan, Evan Okoroh, Padraig Sweeney ,Conor Holohan(1-0),Paul Warren(1-0),Rhys Quinlan Phelan.

Sub: Fergal Maher for Rhys Quinlan Phelan 48 mins.

Referee: Denis O’Sullivan (John Lockes)

Developed by
©2006—2019 Kilkenny GAA
You are 
 visitor. Thank you!