Match Reports

J J Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling League May 27th 2011

Monday, 30 May 2011 at 8PM


Barrow Rangers picked up their first brace of points in the J J Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling League when they had a hard earned one point victory over the home side in a game of high quality and intensity played at Kilmacow on Friday evening last.

Rangers played some brilliant hurling in the first half with Richard Doyle, Cathal Kenny and Dermot Maher getting some great scores from play. The concession of needless frees helped to keep Kilmacow in the game due to the accuracy of Michael Sweeney.

Scores were level on six occasions before Rangers struck in the three minutes before the break with a goal from Cathal English, following a pin point delivery from Richard Doyle and points from Dermot Maher (2) and Cathal Kenny to put them ahead 1 – 10 to 0 – 7 at the break.

Kilmacow upped the ante after the break but their forwards were guilty of some wayward shooting. The Rangers workrate reduced appreciably in the early stages of the second half but Richard Doyle scored a fine point for them against the run of play.

Then two moments of madness by Rangers allowed Kilmacow to get right back into the game. First, a short puck out failed to reach the intended recipient, was collected by John Hayes and duly dispatched over the bar. Worse was to follow when a quickly taken line ball was intercepted by a Kilmacow player, tha ball played across the 21 where half time substitute Sean Ivory despatched to the net to leave just three points between the sides.

Points from Cathal Kenny and Cathal English stretched Rangers lead before two unanswered points each from Paddy O’Keeffe and Sean Ivory reduced the deficit to the minimum as full time approached and Rangers looked in grave danger of remaining pointless. A pointed free from Cathal Kenny gave them a little leeway but with that dreaded two point lead.

A minute later it looked as if a goal for Kilmacow was a certainty as a forward broke clean through on goal but defender Kevin McDonald appeared from nowhere to get a touch on the ball and the danger was averted. Kilmacow were not finished and in the fifth minute of added time were awarded a 25 metre free. Paddy O’Keeffes well struck shot went just over the bar, much to the relief of the Rangers contingent.

Kevin McDonald, Patrick Purcell and Ciaran Doyle were best in a strong Rangers defence. Richard Doyle and Cathal Kenny had the edge at midfield while up front Martin Bambrick, Dermot Maher and Cathal English were best.

Richard McNamara, Luke Harney and Ray Hennessy formed a strong hal;f back line for Kilmacow. They were ably assisted by Paddy O’Keeffe and Brian Fleming.

Full forward John Hayes benefitted greatly from his move outfield in the second half while substitute Sean Ivory proved a handful, helping himself to 1 – 2 of his sides total.

Barrow Rangers: Ian Holden, Kevin McDonald, John Kealy, Martin Dormer, William Hennessy, Patrick Purcell, Ciaran Doyle, Richard Doyle (0 – 5), Cathal Kenny (0 – 4), Shane McEvoy, Dermot Maher (0 – 4), Martin Bambrick, Cathal English (1 – 1), Thomas Brennan, Jason Holden.

Sub: Stephen Dormer

Kilmacow; Richard O’Neill, Conor Dowling, Thomas Reddy, Rob O’Keeffe,

Richard McNamara (0 – 1), Luke Harney, Ray Hennessy, Brian Fleming

(0 – 1), Richard Walsh (0 – 1), Shane Gaule, Paddy O’Keeffe (0 – 3), Stephen O’Keeffe, Michael Sweeney (0 – 4), John Hayes (0 – 1), Shay Dempsey

Subs: Sean Ivory (1 – 2)

Referee: Raymond Byrne 27/05/2011

Developed by
©2006—2018 Kilkenny GAA
You are 
 visitor. Thank you!