Match Reports

County Junior Hurling League (Round 2)

Monday, 14 May 2012 at 8AM

County Junior Hurling League (Round 2)

Galmoy 0-16, Kilmacow 1-13

A strong determined finish saw Galmoy seize a share of the spoils in this County Junior Hurling League tie at Kilmacow on Sunday May 13th 2012.The sides had been level at half time, Galmoy 0-11 Kilmacow 1-8, but backed by a strong breeze, Kilmacow had forged ahead 1-12 to 0-12 at the three quarter mark and looked to be on course for victory.

Galmoy however , battled all the  way to the line and might have plundered a goal on 54 minutes but for a wonderful save by Richie O’Neill. That move came when man of the match Niall Doherty, soloed right up field before laying the sliotar off to Martin Phelan who passed to Noel Doherty. After rounding his man, Doherty saw his well struck shot excellently turned out for a 65 which Stephen Murphy converted and reduced the deficit to the minimum.

Two minutes later Richard McNamara won a 20metre free for the host which was converted by in form free taker Johnny Hayes. Galmoy had a let off when Richard McNamara rounded his man and headed for goal but was dispossessed by Liam Drennan and a goal threat was averted. Stephen Murphy replied again from a placed ball 30metres out on the right side line when Thomas Phelan had been fouled.

With the game now in injury time, Noel Doherty won a hard ball 50metres from goal, turned and beat two men before he was unceremoniously grounded. Stephen Murphy coolly stepped up and leveled the game with his eleventh point of the day.

The opening moments had been even enough with Luke Harney opening the Kilmacow account from a free which was answered by a long distance free by Galmoy’s Martin Phelan. A good solo forward and pass by Niall Doherty gave Stephen Maher the third point of the game which drew a reply from Shay Dempsey at the other end.

Five minutes into the game we were treated to the only goal of the day. A delivery out of the Kilmacow defense by Brian Fleming was won by Shane Gaule who passed out to Josh Tobin as he made a run up the right wing. Tobin spotted that Richard McNamara was totally unmarked in front of the Galmoy goal and sent a clever little ball in, which McNamara duly collected and had little difficulty in slotting the sliotar home. The remainder of the half was tit for tat as Galmoy made good use of the wind and hit a decent first half total of eleven points. However they coughed up some easy possession at the back and allowed the home sides stay in contention. Stephen Murphy hit some excellent first half frees while Stephen Delaney made full use of the elements with a 23rd minute score from inside his own half. The Kilmacow forwards tried to pull the visitors defense out of position with constant movement and both Richard McNamara and Shay Dempsey were involved in most of their scores along with Johnny Hayes who missed just one free over the hour. The game was fought in good spirit with both teams competing honestly. However, some over officious refereeing saw eight yellow cards and one red brandished in what was a well contested clean game.

GALMOY: Liam Drennan, Brian Doherty, Brendan Phelan(Capt.), Jason Stanley, John Phelan, Niall Doherty, Michael Brennan ,Martin Phelan(0-2,0-1f),Nigel Stanley, Stephen Maher(0-1),Stephen Delaney(0-1), Noel Doherty(0-1),Thomas Phelan(Bawn),Stephen Murphy(0-11,0-9frees),Donnacha Gray

 Sub: Eamonn Corcoran for Stephen Maher 55 mins.


KILMACOW: Richie O’Neill(Capt.),Ray Hennessy, Dean Power, Ian Aherne, Brian Fleming, Luke Harney, Andrew Kearns, ,Denis Scully, Sean Flynn, Josh Tobin, Peter Mullaly (0-1), Johnny Hayes(0-6frees),Richard McNamara(1-2),Shane Gaule(0-1), Shay Dempsey(0-2)

Subs: Michael Sweeney for Shane Gaule 40 mins, Willie O’Toole for Ray Hennessy 52 mins.

Referee: Dominic Connolly (Mooncoin)

Developed by
©2006—2018 Kilkenny GAA
You are 
 visitor. Thank you!