Match Reports

U-16 Hurling League Roinn B

Monday, 14 May 2012 at 10AM

U-16  Hurling League Roinn B

Tullaroan  4-8, Galmoy/Windgap  1-8

The ability to strike goals at vital times proved the difference between Tullaroan and Galmoy/Windgap in this U-16 tie at Windgap on Thursday May 10th 2012.Skilful corner forward Shane Walsh, started the ball rolling with a first minute strike to the home net. By the seventh minute, the visitors had 1-3 on the board and were looking good. By contrast, Galmoy/Windgap had hit five wides before Niall Walsh opened their account from two placed balls within a minute. Emmett Landy added another free from well inside his own half to leave just that Walsh goal between the sides at the first quarter mark.

In the 24th minute, Tullaroan’s second goal again involved Shane Walsh. This time, he set off on a solo forward before offloading  to Liam Teehan who shot to the net. Emmett Landy and Niall Walsh responded with home points. As half time approached Tullaroan won a free at midfield but when the sliotar was correctly moved forward  for dissent ,it handed Shane Walsh a handy pointed free to leave the halftime score, Tullaroan 2-5 Galmoy/Windgap 0-5.

Galmoy/Windgap lost wingback Darren Grace with an ankle injury received on the stroke of half time and Tullaroan lost Sam Grace who was injured in the same clash. Tullaroan began the new half well but didn’t score at all in the third quarter. They were denied twice by two good saves by James Culleton on goal. At the other end, Emmett Landy struck over two more points. Diarmuid Doheny had been lording it at full back for the winners but when Kevin Duggan was moved in to full forward after the break, he began to win some vital possession. The introduction of Cathal Phelan at centre forward also made a big difference and both these players combined for Duggan to shoot a 40th minute goal and reduce the deficit to the minimum 2-5 to 1-7.

Galmoy/Windgap had fought themselves back into contention but this was all undone when a defender was caught in possession at midfield, lost the ball, only for Bill Cuddihy to solo straight up the field and release Liam Teehan for his second goal of the evening. With four points in it, Galmoy/Windgap won a 25metre free. Despite being instructed to take his point, Peter Hennessy elected to shoot on goal where Diarmuid Doheny stopped the sliotar and sent it right up field for Jason Riordan to point. This gave Tullaroan the heart to drive on.

The impressive John Walton added another before they struck green again. This time a Galmoy/Windgap defender turned back to his left on the end line and cleared the ball right down the middle. James Moore didn’t look the gift horse in the mouth and grabbed the sliotar to strike Tullaroan’s fourth goal and seal victory. Tommy Walsh and Jack Keoghan were also very impressive for Tullaroan. These two sides must meet again in the first round of the championship later in the summer.


TULLAROAN: Dylan Simpson, John Cuddihy, Diarmuid Doheny, Martin Keoghan, Tommy Walsh, Jack Keoghan, Bob Cuddihy, Jason Riordan(0-1), Kieran Lanigan, Sam Grace, Bill Cuddihy(0-1),John Walton(0-2),Liam Teehan(2-1),James Moore(Capt.)(1-0),Shane Walsh(1-2,0-2fs)

Sub: John Dooley (0-1) for Sam Grace inj. 33mins.


GALMOY/WINDGAP: James Culleton, David Doyle, Kieran Phelan, Sean Phelan ,Jack Delaney , Darragh  O Shea, Darren Grace, Emmett Landy(Capt.)(0-4,0-2fs) ,Kevin Duggan (1-0),Niall Walsh(0-3,0-2fs), Cian Hynes, Cameron Murphy, Tim Molloy, Peter Hennessy(0-1free), Josh Price,

Subs: Oisin Phelan for Tim Molloy inj.16mins, Cathal Phelan for Cameron Murphy 31 mins, Robert White for Darren Grace inj. 31 mins, Conor Grace for Emmett Landy inj. 58 mins.

Referee: John McCormack (James Stephens)

Developed by
©2006—2019 Kilkenny GAA
You are 
 visitor. Thank you!