Match Reports

South Junior B League [Round 2] 2012 Kilmacow 3-15, Carrickshock 3-11.

Thursday, 24 May 2012 at 4PM

Kilmacow 3-15,  Carrickshock 3-11.

Barrie HenriquesWhat started as a rather boring, pedantic encounter, ended in a welter of moderate excitement, as the home side, Kilmacow struggled somewhat to hold on to a long-held lead for a meritorious win. It might not have been so if the visitors, in the first half, had not squandered a number of easy scoring chances. As it was it took them until the 13th minute to trouble the score keeper, and some eleven minutes later they were forced to call on his services again. Such a malady wasn’t a one way street either, as the Kilmacow men nearly took as long to get their scoring act together, registering only three points in the same tine frame.

Being the Junior League Roinn B competition, one did not expect an encounter of any semblance of epic proportion, but nonetheless, it was contested well, with some well created scores being registered by both sides. However there were also passages of dreadful hurling dross, and they brought much derision from the small numbers in attendance.

Carrickshock were hammered by two hard-earned goals within two minutes of each other midway through the first half. A pin-pointed long delivery by Kevin McNamara found the battling Declan Gahan. Turning, he raced through the Carrickshock last line of defence to hammer home number one. His next sally outfield saw another evergreen, Paul Long feed him with a good pass. Again he travelled route one, and even though confronted strongly, he managed to kick home his second goal.

By the 23rd minute Kilmacow were practically out of sight, with a disenchanted ‘Shock wallowing in their slipstream. However all was about to change in the final few minutes of the half when firstly, the battling Seanie Gibbons wrought havoc among the home defenders with some powerful straight running to set up the simplest of goals for James Moran in the 24th minute, and the same combination combining to set up Dan O’Brien for a second major on the call of half time.

Kilmacow were still ahead by 2-8 to Carrickshock’s 2-2, but it could have been far worse for the ‘Shock.

The second half delivered a good rattle for the patrons, but even though they tried very hard, Carrickshock just could not get their noses in front at any stage.

Ed Irish got Kilmacow’s third goal in the 38th minute, Eamonn Power got Carrickshock’s third in the 41st minute. Carrickshock got within three points midway through the half but that was as close as it got for them.

The better team won, but they might hurl much better and lose later in the campaign.


Kilmacow: Declan Gahan (2-2); Ed Irish (1-3); Emmett Blanchfield (0-4, one free); Sean Ivory, Peter Mullally (0-2 each);Kevin McNamara (0-1, ’65); Paul Long (0-1).

Carrickshock: Dan O’Brien (1-6, three pointed frees); Eamon Power (1-2); James Moran (1-0); James O’Leary, John Phelan, Seanie Gibbons (0-1 each).

Kilmacow: David Long, Michael Denehy, Dean Power, John Barron, Kevin Mc.Namara, Denis Scully, Andrew Kearns, Liam Kearns, Shane Gaule, Emmett Blanchfield, Sean Ivory, Ed Irish, Trevor Grant, Peter Mullally, David Ryan.

Subs (used): Paul Long, Declan Gahan.

Carrickshock: Steven Farrell, James Grace, James Gaule, Garry Fitzpatrick, Chris Roche, Richard Frisby, James O’Leary, John Phelan, Edward Dunphy, Sean Gibbons, James Moran, Pauric Barron, Eamonn Power, Pauric O’Dowd, Dan O’Brien.

Subs (used): Matt Hanrahan, John Maher, Ciaran Roche.

Ref: Domo Connolly (Mooncoin)

Developed by
©2006—2018 Kilkenny GAA
You are 
 visitor. Thank you!