Match Reports

South Junior B League [Round 2] 2012 Mullinavat 1-15, John Lockes 3-5.

Thursday, 24 May 2012 at 4PM

Mullinavat 1-15, John Lockes 3-5.

Barrie HenriquesA more focussed and passionate Mullinavat brought a formidable game plan with them to Callan on Saturday evening last, and it paid a rich dividend, in that they returned home with a maximum take from their opening two games.

Mullinavat were quickly into their stride and had adorned the scoreboard with 1-2 before the Lockes could grab their breath. Their goal came from the stick of Jim Holden while Pat Mulhearn and Steven Ryan garnished Holden’s effort with well-taken points. However the Callan lads were not for taking a back seat for long periods and a great goal by sixteen year old, Sean Tierney in the 11the minute, augmenting a Dan Mc.Cormack point left them in a single point arrears by the 15th minute. A five-point salvo by the visitors (Holden, John Reid, Jim McDonald and Mulhearn 2) gave them great confidence as the game tore on towards the break. Brian McCann grabbed a point for the Lockes leaving the halftime score, Mullinavat 1-7, John Lockes 1-2.

Mullinavat continued where they had stalled before the break when John Reid again was on hand to increase the lead to six points within sixty seconds of the restart.

Two smashing goals in as many minutes by JJ.Corrigan and Brian Mc.Cann shot the Callan lads upsides with the Vat men, and we now had a game. They even had the temerity to pass by the visitors with a smart point by Mark Shelly in the 37th minute. Mulhearn had matters on an even keel by the 47th minute with a sweet point.

The battle between the two big men on the edge of the Callan square was enthralling. Chris Walsh, never one to take a backward step when a forward one was needed, had a thrilling battle against the big Mullinavat full forward, Jim Mc.Donald. Walsh a very consistent performer in the number three shirt probably shaded the test, but it was great value.

The John Lockes suffered a bad setback when they lost their star centre forward, Dan Mc.Cormack through injury with ten minutes remaining. It was a loss for which no compensation was readily available.

After Mc.C.ormack’s departure, they took their game to the Mullinavat lads, but the final flourishes from a Mullinavat outfit that sensed victory were more potent, and determined than those of the vanquished John Lockes, who never threw in the towel.

Mullinavat had fine performers in Mossy Jones, JT.Murphy, John Reid, Tommy Holden, and Patrick Mulhearn. The John Lockes were very well served by Chris Walsh, Mark Shelly, Eoin Fahy in goal, Liam Kennedy, Dan Mc.Cormack, and the youthful Sean Tierney.


Mullinavat: Pat Mulhearn (0-6, one free); Jim Holden (1-0); Steven Ryan, John Reid (0-2 each);JT.Murphy (0-1, free); Brian Power, Tommy Holden, Jim Mc.Donald (0-1 each).

John Lockes: Brian Mc.Cann (1-2); JJ.Corrigan (1-1); Sean Tierney (1-0); Mark Shelly, Dan Mc.Cormack (0-1 each).

Mullinavat: Conor Frisby, Robbie Malone, Derek Aylward, Mossy Jones, JT.Murphy, John Mc.Cabe, John Reid, Eoin Maher, Brian Power, Tommy Holden, Pat Mulhearn, Jim Holden, Jim Mc.Donald, Steven Ryan.

Sub (used): Michael Jones.

John Lockes: Eoin Fahy, Mark Shelly, Chris Walsh, Damien Roche, Liam Kennedy, David Phelan, Dan Doheny, Mark Nolan, Niall Hennessy, James Macken, Dan Mc.Cormack, JJ.Corrigan, Sean Treacy, Brian Mc.Cann.

Ref: Richard Dowling (Kilmacow) 

Developed by
©2006—2019 Kilkenny GAA
You are 
 visitor. Thank you!