Match Reports

South Junior A League [Round 5] 2012 Carrickshock 0-22, Tullogher Rosbercon 1-9

Friday, 25 May 2012 at 10AM

Carrickshock 0-22, Tullogher Rosbercon 1-9

Barrie HenriquesIt wasn’t the greatest game you could see, but there has to be something to admire in the work-rate and skill of a team that clatters twenty-two points between an opponent’s posts----- and there was plenty.

Instance the free-taking of John Power. Instance the very positive running, and scoring abilities of Johnny Butler. Instance the dexterity of Gerry Mulcahy who seems to be in all kinds of trouble in possession of the ball, but who can extricate himself with some deft movement to slice balls over the bar with great unorthodoxy.

The admiration nous was not all one-way traffic. Kieran Barron had a fine defensive game for the losers, and I am a long time admirer of John “Tinaree” Murphy, who never puts less that his best on the table every time he pulls on that Tullogher jersie.

Inside the first six minutes, Carrickshock exerted constant pressure on the Tullogher goal. John Butler thundered through, but with the goal at his mercy his blasting shot was somehow blocked by Eoin Ryan. By way of an encore the same Ryan stopped an Eamonn Power shot getting through, and he followed up by blocking the rebounded shot from Seanie Gibbons getting through either.

He certainly earned his cornflakes!

It was however the Tullogher men who showed the early advantages , and when “Tinaree” courageously gathered a long delivery to hammer home Tullogher’s, and the game’s only goal in the 12th minute, it shoved the visitors into a lead of 1-3 to 0-1, a lead that was destined to be dealt a short life span.

The Carrickshock scoring machine clicked into gear, and points by John Power (three frees), Gerry Mulcahy (2), and Seanie Gibbons had them in the lead by 0-7 to Tullogher’s 1-3 by the 20-minute mark. By half time that lead had increased to four points,

Carrickshock 0-13, Tullogher Rosbercon 1-5.

The game continued to buzz during an entertaining second half. Tullogher did have some chances, but too many of their players ran out of steam. On the other hand, Butler exerted even more pressure with his direct approaches, and John Power never missed a free. Mulcahy too was very conspicuous, while Eamonn Power too, improved as the game progressed.


Carrickshock: John Power (Lismatigue)( 0-7 frees); John Butler (0-5); Dan O’Brien, Gerry Mulcahy (0-4 each);  Seanie Gibbons, Eamonn Power (0-1 each).

Tullogher Rosbercon: John “Tinaree” Murphy (1-3, three pointed frees); Kieran Barron (0-2, frees); Billy Ryan (0-2); Martin Bookle, Mark O’Brien (0-1 each).

Carrickshock: Steven Farrell, Seamus Millea, Kieran Holden, Chris Roche, Richie Frisby, Paddy Mulcahy, Chris Price, Damien Walsh, John Phelan, Johnny Butler, John Power (Lismatigue), Seanie Gibbons, Dan O’Brien, Gerry Mulcahy, Eamonn Power.

Subs (used): Pat Dalton, Garry Fitzpatrick, James Grace.

Tullogher Rosbercon: Eoin Ryan, Joe McCarthy, Bob Forristall, Terrance Croke, Amby Malone, Kieran Barron, James Murphy, Billy Ryan, Ian Power, Anthony Cottrell, Martin Bookle, John “Tinaree” Murphy, Mark O’Brien, Paddy Ryan, James Ryan.

Subs (used): Richie Ryan, Canice Brennan, James Mullally, Paddy Ryan.

Ref: Paul Whelan (Mullinavat).

Developed by
©2006—2018 Kilkenny GAA
You are 
 visitor. Thank you!