Match Reports

South Junior A League [Round 2] 2012 Carrickshock 2-19, Glenmore 0-11

Friday, 25 May 2012 at 11AM

Carrickshock 2-19, Glenmore 0-11

Barrie HenriquesWhilst the result of this South League (Roinn A) game was seldom in doubt, nevertheless, the losers never relinquished their courage, or resolve, as they chased what would have appeared from a long way out, a lost cause. But the Glenmore lads were oblivious to that sonata, as they fought the good fight to the end. They had a pretty young team which didn’t help their cause, but it would have to be conceived that the better team won, probably as easily as the score would suggest.

The winners were far more concentrated and direct in their ambitions and the execution of their business. Their defenders didn’t stand on ceremony whenever danger lurched, and their clearances out of defence were constructive. Kieran Holden was very commanding on the edge of their small square, while their halfback line of Richard Frisby, Pat Tennyson in particular and Chris Price made life extremely difficult for the Glenmore lads who never shirked in effort to get ball into their full forward line. Damien Walsh and John Phelan probably won the midfield exchanges with the Glenmore pairing of George Walsh and James Cody, but they didn’t win every ball either.

The discerning difference between the sides was the fact that every one of the Carrickshock forwards scored, with Sean Gibbons, who retired early for service later on, scoring only once. Brian Donovan was on fire in the second half when registering three great points. The Mulcahys were also burning, with full forward Gerry doing plenty of the donkey work for his brother Paddy, John Power (Lismatigue) and Donovan too. He bagged three points himself, with Paddy grabbing 1-3.

Paddy Murphy was scorer-in-chief for the visitors to Hugginstown, grabbing five points. He got good assistance from Ken Cottrell who managed to score three minors.

At half time the game as a contest was practically a dead rubber, with leading by 2-9 to Glenmore’s 0-7. Glenmore were hit for a terrible sucker punch within seconds of the start of the game, when a John Power free from 45 yards crept in under the crossbar without being touched by forward or defender.

Carrickshock were to add ten more points to their score, while the gamy Glenmore managed to improve their take by just four points.

Credit to Carrickshock who lined out another fifteen plus players to play Mooncoin one hour later in the Roinn B League game, and credit Glenmore for wearing the famed green and gold with honesty, pride, and not too little courage.


Carrickshock: John Power (1-4, 1-2 frees); Paddy Mulcahy (1-3); Brian Donovan (0-4); Gerry Mulcahy (0-3); Dan O’Brien (0-2); Damien Walsh, John Phelan, Sean Gibbons (0-1 each).

Glenmore: Paddy Murphy (0-6, two frees, one ’65); Ken Cottrell (0-3); Denis O’Dwyer, David Flynn (0-1 each).

Carrickshock: Steven Farrell, Seamus Millea, Kieran Holden, Chris Roche, Richie Frisby, Pat Tennyson, Chris Price, Damien Walsh, John Phelan, Brian Donovan, John Power, Paddy Mulcahy, Sean Gibbons, Gerry Mulcahy, Dan O’Brien.

Subs (used): Eamonn Power, Eamonn Foley, Gerry Fitzpatrick.

Glenmore: Davy Aylward, James Irish, Patrick Moran, Andrew Doherty, Sean Duggan, Paddy Foran, David Garvey, George Walsh, James Cody, Paddy Connick, Denis O’Dwyer, James Aylward, Paddy Murphy, Ken Cottrell, David Flynn.

Subs (used): Alan Murphy, Fintan Walsh, Tommy Maher, Brian o’Donoghue, David Aylward.

Ref: John Kennedy (Shamrocks).      

Developed by
©2006—2019 Kilkenny GAA
You are 
 visitor. Thank you!